When You Dish Upon a Star (The Simpsons)
When You Dish Upon a Star is the 5th episode of the 10th season (actually a leftover from season 9) of The Simpsons, it features Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger playing themselves.
Keeping Hollywood secrets proves difficult for Homer when he scores a personal assistant job for the husband and wife team, Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger.
- The episode managed to shoehorn Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger into a episode.
- It is incredibly mean spirited towards Homer as Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger end up hating Homer all because he accidentally caused Springfield to know where they live.
- And to make matter's worse, it wasn't even Homer's fault as he told the people in Moe's Tavern to keep the secret, but they obviously break that promise and tell the entire town that Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger live in Springfield.
- The episodes uses the overused "Keep the secret" trope, which has already been done to death on so many other episodes of the series like Homer's Night Out for example.
- Near the end of the second act, Homer starts a mobile museum of "Hollywood Jerks" displaying their personal belongings to get back at them, which unfortunately makes Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger hate Homer even more than they did before.
- Horrible ending: Homer is court ordered to keep 500 miles away from any celebrity dead or alive. Realistically, that would mean he'd have to live outside the United States.
- The first act about the family going to Lake Springfield is great.
- There are plenty of funny moments in the first act such as Homer parking over Ned Flanders while he was buried in the sand.
- There were also some funny lines here, such as Homer's line "I'm soaring, soaring majestically like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft".
- As usual, the animation is great.
- The beginning scene where Homer dreams about him being Yogi Bear is funny, especially the part where he mauls Ranger Ned is funny.
- Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger feel some remorse for falling out with Homer (that is before they find out that Homer made the mobile museum of "Hollywood Jerks" displaying their personal belongings).
- Despite receiving a 7.2 rating on IMDb, the episode garnered mixed reception from fans and critics of the show, many criticised it due to Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger acting extremely unlikable towards Homer.
- Originally, this episode was the 12th worst episode of the show from NoHomers's worst episodes list, but is now considered the 40th worst.
- This episode was originally meant to air as part of season 9, but it was pushed over to season 10 as a leftover.
- The final part of the episode shows 20th Century Fox as a division of Disney. Disney would actually buy out 20th Century Fox in 2019, nearly 21 years after the airing of this episode.